Thousands of Players Traveled from 26 States and Canada to Participate in New York’s First-Ever WSOP Tournament
The 12-day WSOP Tournament series at Turning Stone concluded last night with an exciting championship event that crowned Joe Rice from Waterford, NY the ultimate WSOP Main Event Champion and two-time WSOP Gold Ring winner. New York’s first WSOP tournament was a huge success, far exceeding expectations. The WSOP tournament at Turning Stone resulted in nearly 11K entries and attracted people from 26 states and Canada to Central New York, paying more than $4 million in total winnings.
Oneida Indian Nation Homelands (March 29, 2022) – The 12-day World Series of Poker® (WSOP) Tournament series at Turning Stone concluded last night with an exciting championship event that crowned Joe Rice from Waterford, NY the ultimate WSOP Main Event Champion. Rice earned the largest event winnings of the tournament, taking home $238,870 and his second WSOP Gold Ring. During the first weekend of the WSOP tournament at Turning Stone, the Saratoga County resident won $27,372 and his first-ever WSOP ring. Rice, along with 13 additional WSOP Circuit Event winners from Turning Stone, will now compete for $1 million in the Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas this summer.
The WSOP tournament at Turning Stone was a huge success, far exceeding expectations. The tournament ended with nearly 11K total entries with thousands of players traveling to the region from 26 states and Canada to participate in New York’s first-ever WSOP tournament. Over the 12-day tournament, more than $4 million was paid out in cash winnings, which is four times more than the guaranteed prize pool.
WSOP at Turning Stone By the Numbers:
- $4.4 million in cash winnings paid
- 6K players won prize money in the tournament
- Nearly 11,000 entries in the WSOP at Turning Stone
- Thousands of players traveled to Central New York from 26 states and Canada
- 15 WSOP Gold Rings awarded, poker’s ultimate trophy
- 14 WSOP Circuit Winners to compete in the Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas
- Total of 15 WSOP winners with Joe Rice winning two events
WSOP at Turning Stone Notable Winners
WSOP Circuit winners receive cash winnings, a coveted WSOP Ring – the trophy of the WSOP Circuit event – and a chance to compete in the Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas this summer.
- Two-Time WSOP Tournament Winner: Joe Rice, Waterford, NY
- Rice won a total of $274,441 in the WSOP tournament at Turning Stone in six events.
- Rice also won his first two WSOP Gold Ring and earned a seat in the Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas.
- WSOP Second Largest Winner: Chad Roederscheimer, Cincinnati, OH
- Roederscheimer won a total of nearly $103,000 during the WSOP at Turning Stone.
- Roederscheimer also won his first-ever WSOP Gold Ring and earned a seat in the Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas.
- Two Central New York Winners: Tom Frank, Ilion, NY and Frank Gentile, Utica, NY
- Tom Frank from Ilion won $31,629, his first WSOP Gold Ring and earned a seat in the Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas.
- Frank Gentile from Utica won a total of $27,202 during the WSOP at Turning Stone, his first WSOP Gold Ring and earned a seat in the Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas.
While the WSOP Circuit events at Turning Stone have ended, poker players still have an opportunity to win a $10,000 seat in the 2022 WSOP Championship in Las Vegas. WSOP Satellite events take place in the Turning Stone Poker Room every Sunday through Wednesday with the final WSOP Main Event taking place on Sunday, May 1st.
Players interested in participating in the WSOP Satellite or Main Events at Turning Stone can find more information online at TuringStone.com/Gaming/Poker-Room.
About Turning Stone Resort Casino
A renowned, award-winning destination resort in Upstate New York, the Oneida Indian Nation’s Turning Stone Resort Casino features world-class amenities including five hotels, two luxurious spas, five golf courses, more than 20 dining options, a 125,000 square foot Las Vegas-style gaming floor, The Lounge with Caesars Sports, a state-of-the-art sports betting lounge, The Showroom, an intimate concert venue, a 5,000 seat arena and several nightlife venues. Conveniently located 30 miles east of Syracuse at NYS Thruway exit 33, Turning Stone was named the #1 Best Gaming Resort in New York by Casino Player Magazine and the #1 Best Overall Dining in 2021. Turning Stone has also earned the prestigious Forbes Four Star Award for The Lodge, Wildflowers restaurant, TS Steakhouse and Skʌ:nʌ́: Spa, and, for more than a decade, the AAA Four Diamond Award for The Lodge, The Tower Hotel and Wildflowers restaurant.
For more information and reservations, call (315) 361-7711 or (800) 771-7711.
Kelly Abdo, Director of Public Relations
Turning Stone Resort Casino